Monday, August 8, 2011

Mom Guilt

My friend Sarah had an extra ticket to see Priscilla Queen of the Desert in NYC for Saturday and invited me to go.  My first reaction was "Hell yeah"...followed by "Um, can I really afford to spend that much time away from the girls and the house and is it really fair to John to leave him with the girls all day like that?".

Yup, that's what I thought.  I second guessed myself for the entire week.  John said it was fine but I still questioned my decision...up until the time I left the house to go to the train station.

There is a lot going on at the house and it was craziness Saturday morning.  Grace got eaten alive by "something" Friday night and her legs were huge welts of painful and itchy bites.  She didn't sleep well.  John didn't sleep well.  The contractors were at the house at 9am to start the drywalling....John was running ethernet cable at the same time.  I was trying to shower, the girls were begging for snacks.  It was crazy and my first instinct was to call Sarah and cancel.

But that wouldn't be fair to Sarah or myself.  Don't I deserve some time to just concentrate on myself?  Of course I do, but I don't take it often.

I can easily send my husband away on a three day golfing trip, but I can't seem to allow myself time away from my husband, or my children, or my house.

Why is that?  Why do I have such a hard time allowing myself time to enjoy other things?

Do you find it difficult to take time away from your family and enjoy some "me" time?

TTFN

Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment