Thursday, October 20, 2011

Simon and Garfunkel and Balance

Lately, there have been many posts going around the blog world and Facebook about taking a step back, enjoying the moment, reveling in the here and now.    It sort of reminds me of a Simon and Garfunkel song.  You know the one 

"Slow down, you move too fast.
You got to make the morning last.
Just kicking down the cobble stones.
Looking for fun and feelin' groovy."


 Lately I've been feeling this way.  Pulled in too many directions by everyone and anyone.  I spend 8ish hours at work.  I get one of my daughters, my husband gets the other.  We come home.  One wants a snack, one needs to get homework done.  One wants to write a book.  Dinner needs to be started.  Oh wait, what are we having for dinner?  I don't want that for dinner.


Mommy, will you play with me?  Honey, I'd love too but Mommy has boiling water on the stove which will bubble over and make a huge mess.  Can we please eat our snack OVER the kitchen table so mommy doesn't have as much to clean up when dinner is over.


What do you want for lunch tomorrow?  Mommy, what is the weather going to be like tomorrow, what can I wear to school....Mommy mommy mommy.......


Don't get me wrong....I decided a long time ago that I love hearing the Mommy mommy mommy...because at one time in my life I thought I might never hear those words in my house.  BUT...as much as I love my children....how do I balance it all?


How do I get dinner on the table, lunches made, laundry done and find time to stop and enjoy what I've been gifted with?


Weekends are spent cleaning and trying to carve out time to get the little things done that I'd like to get done.


Well, it's not ALL about that.  Last weekend the girls and I spent 5 hours at Sesame Place with friends.  Sunday the girls had a play date after church.


There is so much I want to do with the girls.  So many places I want to go...but life gets in the way.  Things need to be painted, lawns need to be mowed, laundry needs to get done, dinner needs to be made.

How do I find the time to finish the stenciled curtains I've started?  How do I find time to sew?  


So, while I LOVE all the "slow down and enjoy these moments" posts...can someone tell me HOW?

No comments:

Post a Comment